Wednesday, August 27, 2008

PDAs...Smart phones...Laptops, oh my!

Toshiba Satellite A205 "StarScream" 2007-Present
15 Inch Screen 150 GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM* Vista-Home Premium


Samsung Blackjack 2007
Windows Mobile 1 GB of Storage Memory


My old laptop Apple iBook G4 "Rio Grande" 2004-2007
12.4 Inch Screen 40GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM Mac OS X-Tiger 10.4

PDAs and Smart phones
When you look around any more, you see any of the three things listed above... A PDA, a Smart phone or a Laptop. So far, I have used two out of the three. I have owned a smart phone at one time, and I still have my Toshiba Laptop. I used the Samsung Blackjack phone. This powerful device has so many capabilities that combines the use of a phone; text messaging; email; viewing and modifying Microsoft Office documents; and sending pictures over the internet. This even had a version of Windows on it--called Windows Mobile. This was a cool feature that allowed the user to connect to web fast and use the applications already installed. For the short time I had this phone, I loved it. I had to get used to the size of it, as well as the keyboard. I have big hands and at times I would stumble around on the keys, but once I got used to it, it worked very well for me. They have newer models out now, that if you want the power to communicate and do more business related functions, this is a really good way to go. You hear about the Blackberrys, you hear about Motorola's Q model... But I wanted something that would be reliable, solid and have a great look. With this kind of machine, you also blur the line between a PDA and a Smart Phone.

Computers and Laptops
I have been an avid user of computers for most of my life. Dating back to 1984 when I was first introduced to the Apple IIc and IIe when I was in elementary school playing games like 'Number Munchers'. As time passed--especially while I was in high school, my interest in technology started to grow by leaps and bounds. One thing that was constant, I was near a computer almost all the time I was in high school. What did I use? I used both a PC for typing class and a Macintosh (Mac) for English class and everything else. For nearly 3 years I ran and operated the computer lab full of the Black and white Macintosh Plus computers. That was 14 years ago and they still used the single system disk to run all applications and a second disk to save your work onto a floppy. That alone should show you how far we've come in technology in that short space of time. However old the machines were, we all had to use them, and I had to keep them running.

Much later after I graduated high school, I found myself working with both PCs and Macs over a long period of time in different jobs. Until I started working at the library, I didn't have a computer of my own at home. So in 2001 I bought my first computer--it was a Mac (specifically and iMac). For the time, it was nicely equipped. That computer lasted me until 2005. That computer simply was older and it got slower over time. I kept her in good condition, upgraded her and everything. But you can only upgrade a computer but so much.

Not too long after that, one of my best friends and my co-writer Mike had decided to get a new desktop iMac, and gave me his laptop. The iBook G4. It boasted good speed for it's time, flexibility and mobility that I wasn't used to. I was able to connect to the net no matter where I was thanks to the wireless connection thanks to AirPort.

However, after nearly a year of use, a roommate of mine had somehow crashed my machine. I was devastated. I could never get it to run properly ever again. So I then decided to save up enough money and buy a new one. Even though at this time (mid-2007) I had a desktop PC, it was slower than I wanted, but it still worked properly. I boosted the RAM and did some upgrades. However, one fateful day in late summer of last year, I went to a nearby pawn shop--Luigi's on High Street near 5th Ave. I actually went in there to replace my damaged monitor for my desktop. Until I looked around and found what my fiancee calls "StarScream". In a sleek blue case, this machine had the speed and software I needed so badly. Since all my programs were PC based, I thought it would be easy to transfer all my files over to the laptop. In the beginning, I was apprehensive about using Vista because of what I heard about it having problems. But I still had faith. I had to try it out. So after I paid "StarScream" off, I brought it home in October. I learned more about it's features, and what programs it ran...everything. I wanted to learn every little tweak, anything! So after a time, it has become a permanent part of me. Once I taught Jessi all about it's features, she really liked it--in fact, she wants a laptop too.

Technology is around us all... pick your favorite gadget...

--ThunderChyld

No comments: